Wednesday, June 17, 2009

the countdown has begun...


Wow, what a great team of 11 mighty men and women. I am totally impressed with this 2009 CARE Team. I cannot believe how they have come together as a team and as friends. Great thing to come in the next two weeks.

2 days to go: Trying to get a little jump on the 12 hour time difference (extreme jet lag) in China, planning early to bed Wednesday (ya right....), and then up early Thursday to work at 5 am, then extra earlier to bed on Thursday night (but I need to pack yet), and then up very early departure day (3 am), last minute check of everything (do you hear the toilet running for the 10th time, did you check the windows and doors for the 5th time) as we walk out the door to leave our house for 15 days.

We are off to CFC at 4 am. Frantically tag, weigh, label, and lock all suitcases. Leave CFC at 4:45 am. Arrive at airport at 5:30 am. Check in and ask agents to give us nice seats and maybe with a prayer we get an exit row for my extra long Henricks legs, and for tall Koons, of course. Flight to leave at 7:55 am. Then it is time to organize my carry-on bag at the airport. I have reduced my stress this year by cramming my usually well organized carry-on bag with items in no rime or reason and will use the time at the airport or on the plane to organize it and also to read all my preparation literature for my encounters with my Chinese friends.

Sometimes I wonder why I put myself thru this. It's a lot of work, time, energy, money, etc. But time after time, Linda and I always go back to, "Here I am send me!" (and there is no real good reason NOT to go besides being selfish).

I love my chinese friends. I have lifelong friendships that will span through generations. My time in China is precious and I keep with my moto that I always say to my best and dear Chinese friends, "I'll be back!".

No comments: