Monday, June 22, 2009

from joanne...


Hope all is well with you!
We're finally in Guilin! It's a little after 11 am and I am sitting in an internet cafe with Dave, Linda, Liz, and Koons. Seven of our bags are still missing, but other than that all is well...though our journey here brought many trials, Guilin has in turn brought many wonderful things. We arrived around 10:15 at night, and got to talk with some great Chinese students on the bus ride to our hotel. After a delicious first meal in Guilin, we woke up the next day to a class on Chinese knot making and later on an awesome welcome party...there was singing, and even some Chinese B-Boys breakdancing for us! A major highlight has been a visit from D., a friend from nine years ago, who was able to stay with us until this morning. There have been many new faces, meeting with some of the freshmen classes, but also old friends-- SQ, Joy__, R, M, CM, J, and of course Gam and Cherrie! Tomorrow, we'll also be joined by Ja__, and on Friday by Li__, so we're all looking forward to reconnecting with them.
Guilin is bringing back many memories of our dear Katelynn...but we are carrying her in our hearts and her time here has served as an inspiration for us all. For me, it has been awesome to see the first-timers coming to fall in love with China just as I did last year...the breathtaking scenery...the delicious food...but most importantly the amazing, amazing people and relationships we make with them.
Many amazing things happening, DAD told me that though we faced trials, He has big plans for us. I made a couple new friends and have met with old friends, one of mine named Mich____ who told me she has been reading her Butterfly and wants to talk more! :) :) I spoke with a couple of students about Katelynn, sharing how she is Home now and why I know we will see her again...I cried just thinking about how she is still doing work in China even now... Brandon also talked to Z__ briefly, and I am in touch with my girls V__ and A__ :) This morning was filled with so many tears of joy...we watched D. share about DAD and talk to Him in Chinese. I just keep thinking about the amazing HOME reunion we will all have...when there will no longer be a language barrier...where we will be together with D...Vi...Jo...Ja...Joy__...Katelynn. So many emotions going through my heart right now...

It'll be lunchtime soon so I'm off now to meet the team for some Guilin noodles :) Later we will all be going to the university's new campus to meet the students there.
Love you all! Joanne

No comments: